Ripple is a global system for currency and gross payments, created in 2012 by Ripple Labs. The main advantage of the network is that it can conduct mutual transfers to anywhere in the world in just a few seconds. The system supports currency, crypto-currency and commodity exchanges and money transfers. The native cryptocurrency platform is Ripple's, abbreviated XRP.
This protocol is used by more than 75 payment systems and 90 banks around the world, including American Express, UniCredit, UBS, Santander and Standard Chartered.
A total of 100 billion XRP were created by Ripple. 20 billion XRP (20% of the total XRP supply) were given to the individual founders of Ripple with the remaining 80 billion XRP (80% of the total XRP supply) being retained by Ripple Labs to sell.